Roberto Carlos, who is leaving Turkish giants Fenerbahce for Sao Paulo's Corinthians, has said that he hopes instead to return to Real Madrid to replace the injured Pepe.
"I am negotiating my December departure from Fenerbahce," he told Spanish sports newspaper Marca on Tuesday. Reports from Turkey last week said Roberto Carlos, whose contract with Fenerbahce ends on December 20, had agreed a two-year deal with Corinthians. However, the Brazil legend said that, while Corinthians "are interested in me and we have a verbal agreement... if Real call me I will go immediately."
The 36-year-old arrived at the Turkish club in 2007 after 11 years with Real, who are now seeking a replacement for Pepe, out for the rest of the season with a knee injury. "My life in football and the club of my heart is Real," Marca quoted Carlos as saying. "It would be a dream to return home to the Bernabeu and help this club win titles."
Earlier, Fenerbahce said on their website that the defender had met with club chairman Aziz Yildirim to agree his departure, while Hurriyet and Sabah newspapers reported that there would be a small ceremony for Roberto Carlos following Thursday's UEFA Europa League match at home to Sheriff of Moldova.