Olympiakos win Cup in shoot-out

Olympiakos Piraeus won the Greek Cup final here 15-14 on penalty kicks over AEK Athens after the match ended 4-4 after extra time. It means Olympiakos secured a league and Cup double after winning the league title last month. The match, one of the most exciting in the history of the Cup, was forced to a penalty shootout after midfielder Scocco Ignacio Martin's second goal levelled the scores for AEK at 4-4 in the 107th minute.

Former Greece goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis fired home the winning penalty after saving Agustin Pelletieri's effort during the second round of spot kicks at the Olympic Stadium. Olympiakos won a 14th double and their fourth in five years after the match ended at 3-3 in 90 minutes and 4-4 after extra time with two of their players sent off in the extra period.

Olympiakos looked to be heading for defeat when they trailed 3-2 in normal time, but English forward Matt Derbyshire equalised six minutes into added time to ensure an extra half-hour. AEK had taken a 2-0 lead with Ismael Blanco's double after eight minutes, but Olympiakos recovered as on-loan Blackburn Rovers striker Derbyshire pulled a goal back just after halftime and Dudu Cearense grabbed an equaliser in the 70th minute.

Nacho Skokko then put AEK back in front at 3-2 after 89 minutes before Derbyshire grabbed his last-gasp leveller. Luciano Galletti gave Olympiakos the lead for the first time 12 minutes into the extra period, but was sent off after being shown a second yellow card for overexuberant celebrations.

Moments later Olympiakos were down to nine men when Avraam Papadopoulos was dismissed for a challenge on Pantelis Kafes. AEK were back on level terms at 4-4 when Skokko scored his second goal, but they could not take advantage of their numerical superiority and a remarkable match finished all square.

Blackburn's Matt Derbyshire wants to turn his loan deal with Olympiacos into a permanent transfer. "I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to come to Olympiacos and I hope that Blackburn and Olympiacos can come to an agreement," he said.

The shootout was extraordinary for its duration with the penalty takers on their second round when Pelletieri failed to beat Nikopolidis, who stepped up to fire home the winner.