Suwon Bluewings win Pan-Pacific title

South Korean champions Suwon Bluewings beat the Los Angeles Galaxy 4-2 on penalties yesterday to lift the Pan-Pacific Championship trophy. The two teams played to a 1-1 draw in regular time in the title match of the pre-season tournament, and the contest went straight to the shootout.

Suwon goalkeeper Park Ho-Jin blocked a Kyle Patterson penalty kick to help the Korean club clinch the crown in the event that serves as a pre-season tune-up for the participants. Patterson's miss was the Galaxy's second failed conversion in the shootout. Edson Buddle sailed the host club's first effort over the crossbar.

Eduardo De Oliveira, Yang Sang-Min, Lee Gil-Hoon and Choi Sung-Hwan converted penalties for the Bluewings, while Chris Klein and Mike Magee converted for the Galaxy. Magee had sent the match into a shootout in the 89th minute with a penalty conversion, after Suwon defender Jorge Luiz Alves Justino was called for fouling Buddle in the area.

The Bluewings took the lead in the 38th minute on an own-goal from Galaxy's Sean Franklin. Franklin, apparently attempting to clear a pass intended for Choi Sung-Hyeon, instead headed the ball over Galaxy keeper Josh Saunders and into his own net. Franklin's night got worse in the 79th minute when he was sent off for a sliding tackle against Jorge Luis Alves.

Oita Trinita take third
Earlier at the Home Depot Center, Japan's Oita Trinita claimed third place in the event with a 2-1 victory over short-handed Shandung Luneng Taishan of China. Ueslei gave Trinita a 2-0 lead in the 42nd minute when he headed home a cross from Daiki Takamatsu. Takamatsu had opened the scoring in the 28th minute, collecting a floating pass from Shingo Suzuki and firing a shot past Shandong goalkeeper Li Leilei.

Takamatsu's strike came three minutes after Shandong midfielder Milijan Zivkovic was shown a red card for a potentially dangerous tackle on Suzuki. Shandong pulled back a goal in the 45th, after Masato Morishige pulled down Shandong's Alejandro Chichero in the area and Milijan Mrdakovic converted the ensuing penalty.