Celtic further off pace as Rangers win
© Getty Images

Celtic slipped 12 points behind rivals Rangers at the top of the Scottish Premier League after they were held to a goalless draw with Hibernian at Parkhead.

The Hoops had easily knocked Hibs out of the League Cup in midweek thanks to a rampant second-half display in a 4-1 win at Easter Road, but there none of that urgency was on show at Parkhead today as a much-changed Hibs line-up frustrated Neil Lennon's side for 90 minutes.

Gary Hooper hit the post and James Forrest smacked the crossbar while Hibernian's Leigh Griffiths and Ivan Sproule came close. But neither goalkeeper was really tested in a match that keeps Celtic in third place three points behind Motherwell, albeit with a game in hand.

A slip from Paul Hanlon allowed Anthony Stokes to whip in a cross that bounced off strike partner Hooper and straight to Graham Stack. Stokes then swapped sides and cut in from the left and his low shot was flicked away by the outstretched leg of Stack.

Hibs looked dangerous on the counter-attack and a good passing move set up Garry O'Connor at the edge of the box but his first-time effort flashed wide.

Hooper created a great chance for the opener when he played a one-two with Stokes, but his shot hit the outside of the post before Stack had to dive low to his left to stop a 25-yard shot from Forrest as the hosts tried to break the deadlock.

Hibs began the second-half on the front foot and both Daniel Galbraith and Griffiths tested Fraser Forster with free-kicks from 25 yards out. The pace of on-loan Wolves striker Griffiths saw him find Galbraith with a cut-back which was deflected on to the top of the net by Charlie Mulgrew.

Forrest, who scored a double in the midweek League Cup game between the same two sides, saw his thunderbolt strike from 20 yards clip the bar on its way out. Hibs were winning the midfield battle and the Hoops brought on Paddy McCourt and Victor Wanyama in an attempt to get a grip of the game.

Substitute Ivan Sproule wasn't far away with a late shot as Hibs came close to snatching a winner.

Rangers beat Aberdeen
Rangers, meanwhile, continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-1 win at Aberdeen thanks to goals from Kyle Lafferty and Nikica Jelavic. However, the win was overshadowed by a serious knee injury suffered by Steven Naismith in the first half.

Rangers lost Naismith to an early knee injury at Pittodrie and it was his replacement, Lafferty, who fired an angled shot past Gonzalez to give his side a 58th-minute lead. Darren Mackie brought down Sasa Papac in the box to allow Jelavic to double the score from the spot 11 minutes later.

Former Rangers player Richard Forster's speculative shot from 25 yards saw McGregor concede his first goal away from home this season when the keeper let his shot slip through his fingers. Rory Fallon was then sent off in injury time for aiming an elbow at Dorin Goian.

Elsewhere, Inverness Caledonian Thistle remain bottom following a 3-2 defeat to Motherwell while Dunfermline lost 4-1 at home to Dundee United. Ten-man Hearts lost 1-0 at home to Kilmarnock ,while St Mirren defeated managerless St Johnstone 1-0.