Rangers claim early Old Firm spoils
© Getty Images

Rangers scored three second-half goals as they came from behind to defeat ten-man Celtic 4-2 at Ibrox to move four points clear at the top of the Scottish Premier League.

Steven Naismith opened the scoring in the 22nd minute with a superb shot before Gary Hooper fired Celtic level in the 34th minute.

Allan McGregor had gone into the game on the back of five consecutive clean sheets but the goalkeeper was at fault when he allowed Moroccan Badr El Kaddouri's soft effort from 25 yards to slip through his legs to hand the Hoops a half-time advantage.

Nikica Jelavic headed Rangers level seven minutes after the break before Kyle Lafferty, who had already had an effort ruled out for offside, fired Rangers ahead in the 67th minute.

Charlie Mulgrew saw red for his second bookable offence in the 75th minute before Naismith got his second in injury time as Rangers continued their unbeaten start to the campaign.

Naismith gave Rangers a 22nd-minute lead with his first goal against Celtic. Wilson's poor clearance landed to the forward two yards inside the box, and he took a touch before lashing an unstoppable shot into the top left-hand corner with the outside of his right foot.

The Rangers defence had rarely looked under pressure before a cool finish from Hooper netted the Bhoys a 34th-minute equaliser. Brown played Hooper in with a neat pass and the Englishman sent a low angled shot from ten yards into the bottom left-hand corner.

McGregor makes a mistake
Rangers stopper McGregor had gone 558 minutes without conceding before Hooper's goal but a blunder from the keeper handed Celtic a 41st-minute lead, when he somehow allowed El Kaddouri's low drive from 25 yards to wriggle through his legs on the goalline.

The home side almost found themselves level just 42 seconds after the restart when Steven Davis sent a volley from 20 yards crashing off the crossbar. Lafferty had the ball in the net in the 52nd minute after great link-up play involving Naismith and Jelavic but the Northern Irishman's sidefooted effort was ruled out for offside.

Rangers' determined start to the second half paid off in the 54th minute, though, when Jelavic grabbed an equaliser. Davis sent over a corner and the Croatian striker sent his header bouncing onto the ground and high into the roof of the net.

The Ibrox side should have found themselves ahead two minutes later when Greg Wylde picked out Lafferty in the box but the forward headed over from six yards. Lafferty had an even better chance moments later when he latched onto El Kaddouri's slack headed backpass but he poked his effort wide.

Lafferty gives Rangers the lead
El Kaddouri immediately made way for Anthony Stokes before Glenn Loovens saw his header from Mulgrew's corner smack off the base of the post. Lafferty finally got his goal in the 67th minute.

Jelavic's header from Wylde's cross was stopped but Lafferty reacted quickest and saw his initial shot blocked before making room to fire a low shot past Fraser Forster at the second attempt.

Mulgrew, who had been booked for a late challenge on Naismith in the first half, was given his marching orders in the 75th minute for a second bookable offence when he scythed down Davis. Naismith made sure of the points in injury time when he got on the end of Davis' cross to tap home from close range.