Juventus are determined to keep coach Antonio Conte in Turin for the long term, according to club administrator Giuseppe Marotta. Conte, whose current deal expires in June 2015, has yet to confirm if he will continue to guide the Italian champions next season.
The 44-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Monaco this summer although Juve are expected to offer Conte a long-term contract once the season is over. "Our priority is to keep Conte," Marotta said to Gazzetta dello Sport. "He is an asset to the club. He has proved to be one of the best and it is our duty to keep him close to us."
Conte joined Juve in 2011 and has guided The Old Lady to their third successive league title. "We acknowledge what Conte has achieved," Marotta said. "He is a coach that is prepared, he has made a huge impact in making sure the club achieved their objectives."
Conte hinted earlier this week that he may leave the club having failed to find success in Europe. He won the UEFA Champions League as a player with Juve in 1996 and would like nothing more than to lift again the trophy, this time as a manager. "There are stronger rivals in Europe and we have to accept that," he added. "But we are improving year after year and we will continue to do so."
Conte was seen speaking to former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson during Thursday's Europa League final at the Juventus Stadium, increasing speculation he could leave the club this summer. However, Marotta has rested no importance to those rumours. "It's only right that Conte asks him (Ferguson) advice regarding his future as coach," Marotta said.
Juve end the campaign at home to Cagliari on Sunday needing a point to become the first Italian club to reach the 100-point mark in a given season.