Bremen end losing run
© Getty Images

Werder Bremen ended a six-game losing run by beating Freiburg for the sixth straight time to earn a crucial three points in their fight against relegation. Sandro Wagner gave Werder the lead in the 12th minute before Papiss Demba Cisse levelled the game with a penalty in the 49th minute.

But Bremen reclaimed the lead in the 76th minute through Claudio Pizarro and Marko Marin finished off Freiburg 3-1 two minutes into stoppage time. The win lifts Bremen to 14th place with 28 points, three points above the relegation zone, and means Freiburg have collected just one victory in their last five games.

Werder took the lead in the 12th minute when Pizarro's header was cleared off the line by Cisse but fell straight to Sebastian Prodl, whose shot was put home just inside the right post from two yards out by Wagner for his first Bundesliga goal. Freiburg were close to an equaliser eight minutes later but Omer Toprak's header bounced off the ground and onto the roof of the net.

After a lacklustre end to the first half, Freiburg drew level in the 49th minute from the spot. Referee Knut Kircher awarded a penalty for Tim Borowski's tackle in the area on Erik Jendrisek and Cisse blasted into the bottom left corner, with Bremen keeper Tim Wiese going in the other direction, for his 17th goal of the season.

Toprak nearly gave Freiburg the lead two minutes later but his header from a free-kick was also too high. Freiburg appeared to take the lead in the 57th minute but Oliver Barth's goal was disallowed by the linesman.

Bremen reclaimed the lead with 14 minutes to play as Marin seized on a mistake by Freiburg's Maximilian Nicu and squared to Pizarro, who finished low from the edge of the box to make it 2-1. The guests nearly stretched their lead to 3-1 in the 81st minute but Freiburg keeper Oliver Baumann made a fine one-on-one stop from Bremen striker Marko Arnautovic.

Baumann also denied Leon Balogun in the 88th and Pizarro in the 90th but he could not stop Marin, who concluded a long run from his own half by rounding the keeper and slotting home to make it 3-1 two minutes into stoppage time.