Gazelec Ajaccio stun Montpellier in Coupe

Third-division Gazelec Ajaccio consigned high-flying Montpellier to a shock defeat in the quarter-finals of the French Cup today, in the second scalping of a big-name club in as many days.

GFCO Ajaccio, locked in a promotion battle, scored the only goal of the game through Yohan Bocognano, the defender seizing on some slack defence from the visiting side to hammer a half-volley home after 75 minutes.

"It's massive and personally it's satisfying because I was the one who scored," said Bocognano. "In this type of match, you can't play it out beforehand. We played it out starting at 5p.m. [at kick-off]. We had nothing to lose. We didn't really see the difference between a team in Ligue 1 and the third division. It's a fantastic adventure that goes on."

Montpellier, currently in second spot in Ligue 1, joined Marseille in crashing out before the semi-finals, the latter going down to a 3-2 extra-time defeat to third-tier minnows Quevilly on Tuesday. Marseille's defeat was the latest set-back for the French giants who, despite qualifying for the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League with victory over Inter Milan, are struggling in Ligue 1.

In this type of match, you can't play it out beforehand. 
Bocognano, Ajaccio hero

Rennes put in a dominant display against Valenciennes, winning 3-1 to go through to the last four after the home side were hit hard by the 42nd minute red carding of Foued Kadir for a reckless challenge on Yann M'Vila.

Rennes had taken the early lead through Jonathan Pitroipa, with Mamadou Samassa equallising for Valenciennes 20 minutes later with a great header from a Gael Danic cross. But after the expulsion of Kadir, Rennes took control of the match, Ghana defender John Boye handing his team the lead once again in the 52nd minute.

A dreadful fumble by goalkeeper Nicolas Penneteau in his own box let in striker Youssouf Hadji for the icing on Rennes' cake.

The remaining place in the semi-finals will be filled by Lyon, who ran out convincing 3-1 winners over league leaders Paris Saint-Germain.

Lyon went in to half-time 2-1 up after a pinpoint left-footed Kim Kallstrom curling free-kick and a short-range tap-in by Lisandro Lopez cancelled out a Nene penalty for PSG after Samuel Umtiti was adjudged to have handled.

Bafetimbi Gomis rubbed PSG noses in it further with an injury-time penalty after Christophe Jallet hacked down Brazilian Michel Bastos in the box.