Nice, Lorient, Lyon into last eight

Nice edged Dijon in a thrilling French League Cup quarter-final 5-3 on penalties after the two sides were locked together at 3-3 following extra time on Wednesday.

Lorient joined Nice in the last four after Giles Sunu produced the only goal of the game in the 70th minute to give the visitors a 1-0 win at Le Mans. The semi-final line-up was completed later when Lyon came from behind to beat Lille 2-1 - both teams having been reduced to 10-men - following Marseille's win over Caen 24 hours earlier.

Three times Nice fell behind and three times they managed to get back on terms, before coming out on top in the penalty shoot-out after Dijon's Younousse Sankhare failed to convert his spot-kick.

Thomas Guerbert put Dijon, who had knocked out Paris Saint Germain in the last round, into a 19th minute lead, with Brice Jovial (62nd minute) and Eric Bautheac's 115th-minute penalty after a foul on Sankhare keeping them on course for the semi-finals.

But after Anthony Mounier (35) and Renato Civelli (78) had drawn Nice back level twice it was left to Argentine Luciano Monzon to produce a superb freekick in the 117th minute to send the tie to penalties.

Nice's win came on the day they announced the arrival on a six month loan deal of Gael Kakuta from Premier league giants Chelsea.

Lyon rebound
Lyon started disastrously against Lille when Mouhamadou Dabo was sent off with just 11 minutes on the clock after a rough tackle on Laurent Bonnart.

Their evening went from bad to worse on 28 minutes when Lille's English midfielder Joe Cole, on loan with the French champions from Liverpool for the season, opened the scoring after being set up by Belgian star Eden Hazard.

Lyon levelled though 13 minutes later when Lille's Nigeria keeper Vincent Enyeama failed to clear Michel Bastos's powerful free-kick, with Swedish midfielder Kim Kallstrom slotting in the loose ball.

And the former multiple French league winners killed off the tie in the 66th minute when in-form Argentinian Lisandro Lopez scored his 11th goal of the season in all competitions.

Lille ended a man down themselves when Mathieu Debuchy was red carded for a dangerously high tackle on Lisandro with eight minutes remaining.

On Tuesday Marseille's quest for a third consecutive title was kept firmly afloat when Didier Deschamps' side booked their semi-final ticket with a 3-0 win at Caen. Mathieu Valbuena bagged a double with one time Tottenham target Loic Remy also getting on the scoresheet.