Lukaku gets Mourinho off to winning start, Arsenal cruise
© Getty Images

Romelu Lukaku handed Jose Mourinho a winning start to his new reign as Chelsea manager with a perfectly-timed debut goal.

The towering centre-forward drilled a first-half penalty to give new-look Chelsea a 1-0 win over the Singha All-Star XI, who humbled Manchester United by the same scoreline last week.

Lukaku, who starred on loan with West Bromwich Albion last season, has vowed to fight for his place even if Chelsea sign a high calibre striker in the transfer window. 

And his goal, on a night of promising debut performances by Chelsea's new signings in Bangkok, comes after the club ended widespread speculation by confirming a bid for Wayne Rooney.

Chelsea played with their shirt names and numbers in Thai, but home goalkeeper Narit Taweekul nearly went further with the generosity when he palmed a loose ball against the crossbar.

Kevin De Bruyne was a chief threat on his debut, after returning from a loan spell at Werder Bremen, and he whistled a thunderous shot past the uprights in the 23rd minute.

Lukaku was also posing problems early on and he forced a sharp save from Narit after galloping through one-on-one on the half-hour.

But the first goal of Mourinho's new era came from the spot after right-back Wallace, Chelsea's new signing from Fluminense, went down under a challenge in the box.

Lukaku made no mistake with his left foot as he drove the penalty low and to the 'keeper's right for his first goal in a Chelsea shirt in the 35th minute.

The Belgium international might have had another but Narit was again equal to his first-time shot in the box six minutes before half-time.

Both teams switched nearly their entire teams at half-time -- with Mourinho retaining only De Bruyne -- and it was a disjointed second period from the Blues.

Eden Hazard's free kick drew a strong save from incoming 'keeper Thanongsak Panpipat, and Branislav Ivanovic nearly bundled another set-piece over the line at full stretch.

Hazard was nearly on target again shortly afterwards but his shot became tangled in the legs of 18-year-old Nathaniel Chalobah.

Chelsea now head to Kuala Lumpur and then to Jakarta as they continue their build-up to the new English Premier League season under Mourinho.

Arsenal win big in Hanoi
Arsenal beat the Vietnamese national team 7-1 on Wednesday at the 40,000-seat My Dinh Stadium on a rainy evening in Hanoi.

France international Olivier Giroud scored a first-half hat-trick, getting the opener after just five minutes, and following up with two goals in rapid succession just before half-time.

Giroud, who joined Arsenal in June 2012 from Ligue 1 champions Montpellier, now has five goals in two games on the Gunners' Asian tour, after scoring twice in Sunday's seven-goal win over the Indonesian Dream Team in Jakarta.

Wenger praised the Vietnamese team's efforts and said he and his team had had a great three-day stay in the country.

"I have felt very happy these last few days in Vietnam and will leave with many fond memories, especially of Running Man," Wenger said, referring to a devoted fan who ran five miles alongside the Arsenal team bus in a bid to meet his heroes.

After the team posted a video on the Arsenal website of the fan, Vu Xuan Tien, and his tireless chase of the bus -- which ended with him being invited on board and posing for photos with the team -- "Running Man" became an overnight sensation in Vietnam.

"I am satisfied with (the) performance of our players. They have made a good impression in the eyes of Vietnamese fans," Wenger added, speaking to reporters after the match.

After a flurry of half-time substitutions for both teams, England international Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scored Arsenal's fourth a minute from the restart.

Arsenal's pacy front man Chuba Akpom scored in the 56th minute and again on the hour after Oxlade-Chamberlain passed the ball across to the young striker, who also hit the target against the Indonesians.

Spanish midfielder Mikel Arteta, a 2011 signing from Everton, scored Arsenal's seventh in the 75th minute.

Tran Manh Dung scored a consolation in the 78th minute, delighting the home crowd.

Vietnam's goalkeeper Tran Buu Ngoc was shown a red card in the 89th minute for handling the ball outside the box, so defender Dao Van Phong went into goal for the final minutes.

Arsenal next head to Japan, where their visit includes a game against Wenger's former club, Nagoya Grampus Eight.