United survive scare, Blues denied
© Getty Images

New Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp watched from the Old Trafford stands as the visitors surrendered a second-half lead en route to a 3-1 defeat against Manchester United.

The bottom-of-the-table visitors, under the temporary guidance of Mark Bowen, took the lead in the 52nd minute when Jamie Mackie pounced from close range after Anders Lindegaard had pushed out Kieron Dyer's cross-shot.

But the London team were swiftly undone by two set-pieces, Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher both on target with headers from Wayne Rooney corners, before Anderson surged forward and set up Javier Hernandez for a cool finish to settle matters.

Redknapp, 65, was this morning given a two-and-a-half-year contract by Rangers - just 24 hours on from Mark Hughes' sacking - but will not take charge of the team until Tuesday's game at Sunderland.

Victory took United back to the top of the Premier League standings ahead of Manchester City's trip to Chelsea on Sunday.

Gomez treble saves Latics
Jordi Gomez's hat-trick spared Ali Al Habsi's blushes as Wigan Athletic overcame Reading 3-2, Everton and Norwich City drew 1-1, and Stoke City edged Fulham 1-0.

Sean Morrison's first goal for the Royals - a fine header into the top corner from Nicky Shorey's cross - had earned the visitors an interval lead at the DW Stadium.

But Gomez equalised 13 minutes into the second period, lashing high into the net after his initial low effort from substitute Franco Di Santo's cross had been parried by Adam Federici, and then grabbed a second ten minutes later with a superb diving header from Jean Beausejour's cross.

Ten minutes from time, Hal Robson-Kanu's blocked shot looped high into the air and Al Habsi - seemingly expecting to be put under more pressure than he was - fumbled the ball under his crossbar and looked on helplessly as it trickled over the line.

However, Gomez was not done, and swept home from Arouna Kone's pass in added time to complete his treble.

There was also late drama at Goodison Park, where Sebastien Bassong's 90th-minute diving header from Javier Garrido's free-kick earned the Canaries a point. Steven Naismith had given the Toffees a 12th-minute lead.

Finally, Charlie Adam's 26th-minute goal secured Stoke a 1-0 win against Fulham at the Britannia Stadium, the Scotland midfielder the beneficiary of the knockdown after Peter Crouch comfortably beat Philippe Senderos in the air.