Chelsea claim late victory, bad day for bottom clubs
© Getty Images

Juan Mata grabbed a stoppage-time winner for Chelsea as Wigan Athletic were denied the chance to move out of the Premier League relegation zone.

It was goalless at the interval, Maynor Figueroa clearing Didier Drogba's header off the line after Ali Al Habsi saved from Mata. The Oman international also tipped over Drogba's bullet header.

Chelsea took a controversial lead when Raul Meireles crossed and Branislav Ivanovic, suspiciously offside, sidefooted the ball home. The defender then added to Wigan's frustration by clearing Franco di Santo's goalbound effort moments later.

Mohamed Diame equalised with a powerful left-foot drive from 20 yards but Mata was on hand after Fernando Torres' superb volley came back off a post, meaning Wigan remain 19th in the table.

Interim Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo said: "I think they [Wigan] were unlucky. But the result shows we have great spirit. The result keeps us alive and puts the pressure on those who are above us."

Defeat for Blackburn, Bolton
Wigan's fellow strugglers fared no better this afternoon, though, with defeats for both Blackburn Rovers and Bolton Wanderers. Clint Dempsey scored twice as Fulham ended Bolton's recent revival at the Reebok Stadium.

The result keeps us alive and puts the pressure on those who are above us.
Roberto di Matteo, Chelsea manager

The American hit a superb 30-yard free-kick and headed a second on the stroke of half-time before John Arne Riise crossed for Mahamadou Diarra to make it 3-0 with his first goal for the club.

Blackburn lost by the same scoreline at West Bromwich Albion, falling behind before half-time as full-back Martin Olsson sliced the ball into his own goal when attempting to clear a header from Albion centre-back Gareth McAuley. Marc-Antoine Fortune made it 2-0 after being picked out by Chris Brunt and Liam Ridgewell headed home Graham Dorrans' free-kick.

Reds denied again at Anfield
Higher up the table, Liverpool came from behind to draw with Aston Villa at Anfield. Chris Herd swept the visitors into the lead before Dirk Kuyt missed a glorious chance for the Reds, ballooning over from close range after meeting Steven Gerrard's cross-shot.

Luis Suarez grabbed Liverpool's leveller, tapping home from close range after Daniel Agger's header hit the crossbar, before substitute Andy Carroll headed the Uruguay forward's cross straight at Shay Given.

Nikica Jelavic scored twice as Everton also shared the spoils at Norwich City. The home side spent most of the first half on the back foot and went behind in the 22nd minute when Jelavic back-heeled home his third goal in four matches. Tony Hibbert struck the woodwork as Everton continued to dominate, but Jonny Howson popped up six minutes from the break to convert Wes Hoolahan's cross.

Jelavic's second was tinged with controversy as the ball became trapped beneath Steven Pienaar and, as Norwich stood off, the South African crossed for the former Rangers striker to finish. But the Canaries equalised once more when Aaron Wilbraham's shot was saved but he turned the rebound into the path of Grant Holt, who calmly sidefooted home.

No score for Spurs
In the day's early kick-off, Gareth Bale headed Tottenham Hotspur's best chance onto the roof of the net as Harry Redknapp's men failed to put pressure on their rivals for a UEFA Champions League place.

Their goalless draw was enough to nudge Spurs at least temporarily up to third, but it was a frustrating afternoon for Redknapp with Emmanuel Adebayor and Rafael van der Vaart also missing chances.

Bottom side Wolverhampton Wanderers moved closer to the Premier League trapdoor as Peter Crouch's header condemned them to a 2-1 defeat at Stoke City.

Winger Michael Kightly put Wolves in front in the 26th minute with a lofted pass that drifted straight in, but Robert Huth drove home an equaliser with eight minutes of the first half remaining before Crouch nodded in the winner just after the hour mark.