Frustrations rise in fourth-spot race
© Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur failed to take advantage of a slip-up by UEFA Champions League qualifying rivals Manchester City as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Premier League strugglers Blackpool .

Jermain Defoe equalised for Spurs a minute from time at White Hart Lane after Blackpool's Charlie Adam had missed and then scored from the penalty spot in the space of 70 seconds.

Tottenham are now six points behind City, who occupy the fourth and final Champions League place. However, victory would have seen them move closer ahead of their midweek trip to Eastlands following City's 2-1 defeat at Everton.

Heurelho Gomes produced a fine save to deny Adam after Spurs defender Michael Dawson was penalised for handball in the box, but the erratic Brazilian goalkeeper then fumbled a corner and was ruled by referee Lee Probert to have brought down Gary Taylor-Fletcher.

This time Adam, who could have been red-carded minutes earlier for a challenge on Gareth Bale that saw the Spurs star carried off on a stretcher, blasted the ball to Gomes's right to give the Tangerines the lead with 14 minutes left.

The draw saw Blackpool stay above the relegation zone on goal difference alone with two games of the season left.

"There's only one word for me: pride," Blackpool manager Ian Holloway told ESPN. "We believe in ourselves again. We've had a little wobble, but there's a few games to play yet."

Battle at the bottom
West Ham United remained rooted to the foot of the table despite a 1-1 draw at home to Blackburn Rovers and are three points shy of safety. West Ham fell behind when Blackburn striker Jason Roberts turned in Brett Emerton's 12th minute cross. But a trademark Thomas Hitzlsperger shot 12 minutes from time gave the Londoners a lifeline.

Wigan Athletic also stayed in the bottom three following their 1-1 draw with Aston Villa. Wigan took a 10th minute lead at Villa Park through Charles N'Zogbia, but Villa equalised seven minutes later when Ashley Young fired in from 25 yards out.

City slip-up
At Goodison Park, Ivory Coast international Yaya Toure put Manchester City in front when his 28th minute shot beat Tim Howard. Sylvain Distin levelled, though, in the 65th minute before Leon Osman's header just minutes later gave Everton the three points.

"It was incredible we lost this game," said a frustrated Roberto Mancini, Manchester City's manager. "But this is football. If you lose concentration, if you concede a yard to the other team, it is difficult. A game like today we should never lose. If we want to become a strong team, we cannot lose this game."

At St James' Park, Newcastle piled on more misery for Birmingham City with a 2-1 win. Newcastle were awarded a penalty after Liam Ridgewell was sent-off for a handball on the line and Shola Ameobi scored from the spot in the 36th minute. Steven Taylor doubled Newcastle's lead in the 43rd minute, but there was still time for Birmingham to pull a goal back before half-time when Lee Bowyer scored against his former club.

At the Reebok, Bolo Zenden put Sunderland ahead shortly before half-time against Bolton Wanderers. The hosts drew level three minutes from time when striker Ivan Klasnic headed in Rodrigo Moreno's cross, but Sunderland snatched a late winner when Bolton defender Zat Knight turned Sulley Muntari's shot into his own net.

Premier League leaders Manchester United take on second-placed Chelsea, just three points off top spot, in a match that will have a key bearing on the title race at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Arsenal travel to Stoke while relegation threatened Wolverhampton Wanderers face West Bromwich Albion. Liverpool, currently sixth, travel to Fulham on Monday.