Bolton tatter Arsenal's title bid

Arsenal's Premier League title bid was surely ended at the Reebok Stadium today as Tamir Cohen scored an emotional late winner for Bolton Wanderers.

Wenger admitted Arsenal's title challenge was all but over and said: "Our chances are very minimal, that is for sure. It is difficult to swallow the way we lost. We gave everything we had left and we had chances to win but didn't take them. In the end we were caught in the way we feared, from a corner.

"The week we have just had summed up our season - lots of quality in our game on Sunday against Liverpool, Wednesday against Tottenham and today, but not enough rewards for our effort."

The Israeli powered a 90th-minute header past Wojciech Szczesny and then removed his shirt to reveal a picture of his late father Avi, who died in December following a motorcycle accident, before breaking down in tears.

"It was a very emotional winner for Tamir given he has lost his dad. It was fitting he got the winner on such a wonderful day," said Bolton coach Owen Coyle. "He's had such a difficult year. He had an operation last summer and came back and was behind the lads in terms of fitness and has worked hard to get back into the team."

On-loan Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge had opened the scoring in the 38th minute while Kevin Davies also missed a penalty for Bolton at the start of the second half before Robin van Persie netted a 48th-minute equaliser.

The result leaves Arsenal nine points behind Manchester United and three behind Chelsea with only four games remaining.

The first half was a familiar story for Arsenal fans, with the Gunners bossing possession, but struggling to create clear-cut opportunities, while Bolton's more direct approach paid dividends.

Our chances are very minimal, that is for sure. It is difficult to swallow the way we lost.
Arsene Wenger, Arsenal coach

Probably the Gunners' clearest opening came inside four minutes when Cesc Fabregas played in Theo Walcott on the right. The England man's strike was parried by Jussi Jaaskelainen and Samir Nasri saw his follow-up effort blocked by a combination of Gary Cahill and Zat Knight.

Arsenal's pace looked to be the greatest threat to the hosts and from a quick break Fabregas forced Jaaskelainen to tip his 25-yard effort round the post before a Robin van Persie volley was well blocked by Cahill.

Bolton were giving the best they had, though, and they probably should have been ahead in the 24th minute when Sturridge caught the Arsenal defence napping with a superb through ball for Lee Chung-yong, but the Korean chose to try to pick out Kevin Davies and the chance was lost.

Lee had another golden chance in the 37th minute, with Sturridge again the architect courtesy of a lovely chip into the centre of the box. The winger made good contact eight yards out but Szczesny was off his line quickly and blocked the shot.

There was no denying Bolton from the resulting corner, though, as Sturridge made the breakthrough. Lee's cross was headed powerfully towards goal by the impressive Cahill and, although Nasri cleared off the line, Sturridge was on hand to head in the ball. Fabregas almost squared things before half-time, but his 20-yard shot cannoned off the post with Jaaskelainen well beaten.

Sturridge trouble
Things got worse for Arsenal in the opening minute of the second half and again it was Sturridge causing the problems. The striker's neat turn took him past Johan Djourou and, when Sturridge fell in the box under pressure from the Gunners defender, referee Mike Jones pointed to the penalty spot. Captain Davies stepped up, but his effort was tame and straight at Szczesny, who easily blocked the shot.

It seemed inevitable Arsenal would capitalise on their second chance and little over a minute after the penalty, Van Persie picked up the ball on the right and played a one-two with Fabregas before placing the ball just inside the post. It was the seventh successive away game in which the Dutchman had found the net, a new Premier League record.

Bolton responded well, but they were indebted to their goalkeeper for keeping them level when Nasri ran on to Van Persie's through ball in the 65th minute. The Frenchman was in space, but Jaaskelainen made himself big to block the initial shot and, although the ball rebounded to Nasri, the angle was too tight and Cahill was able to block his follow-up.

Cohen nods home
The Gunners pressed, but Bolton defended superbly and it was they who created the clear-cut chance Arsenal craved when Johan Elmander took advantage of a defensive slip to run into the box and fire in a shot at Szczesny, who did well to palm it behind.

There was no stopping Bolton from the corner, though, as Taylor's cross picked out the head of Cohen, who had replaced Sturridge six minutes earlier. With the game in the 90th minute, the Israeli powered a head into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.

Cohen broke down in tears as he was mobbed by his team-mates, but it was Arsenal who were left distraught moments later as Jones blew the final whistle.