City's Johnson out for three months
© AFP

Manchester City winger Adam Johnson has been ruled out for three months with an ankle injury.

Johnson suffered ligament damage in a freak incident during training on Thursday and City manager Roberto Mancini confirmed the serious nature of the England international's problem after today's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Notts County.

"We have lost Adam Johnson for three months," Mancini said. "This will be a very big problem because he is an important player. The injury is like the one Aleksandar Kolarov had earlier this season. We do not have another player like Adam."

This will be a very big problem because he is an important player. We do not have another player like Adam.
Roberto Mancini, Manchester City manager

The injury will also cause Fabio Capello a headache because the former Middlesbrough player will be absent from England's friendly with Denmark in Copenhagen next month and more importantly, the UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier with Wales in Cardiff on 26 March.

Mancini admitted he may now decide to keep England winger Shaun Wright-Phillips, who had handed in a transfer request ahead of tomorrow's deadline, so he can provide cover for Johnson.

"I can understand his position," Mancini said. "We haven't had any offers for Wright-Phillips at this moment but it is difficult for Shaun to join another team now. We still have another 24 hours, so anything can happen but it probably affects it."