Netherlands international striker Ryan Babel's on-off move to Bundesliga side Hoffenheim from English Premier League giants Liverpool was back on track on Monday as he was due to fly to Germany to finalise personal terms.
The 24-year-old looked to have sealed a €7m deal last week only for it to be placed in doubt as he said he would prefer a return to his former club Ajax but the club announced later on Monday that Babel was going to Germany after all. "Ryan Babel has agreed a move to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim," read a terse statement on the Liverpool website.
Babel has struggled to make an impact during his three-and-a-half-year spell at Anfield since leaving Ajax. Hoffenheim, currently eighth in the Bundesliga, see Babel as the ideal man to replace outgoing Senegalese striker Demba Ba.
Babel has scored just twice in 17 appearances this season. He was in the Dutch 2010 FIFA World Cup™ squad that made the final, although he played no part in the impressive run that ended in a 1-0 defeat to Spain in the Final.
Also on Monday Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish refused to be drawn on whether the club would increase their offer for Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam. Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston said Liverpool had made a £4m bid on Friday which had been rejected.
Adam has handed in a transfer request, suggesting a deal could be on the cards, though that was rejected by the club. There are reports Liverpool will push the figure up to five million for the Scotland international.
Dalglish said: "If we have some business to discuss we will discuss it. We will try to adopt the way of Liverpool Football Club and certainly one of our ways is to be respectful of other clubs and certain players at other clubs. The most important people we have are the people at this club.