Everton defender Joseph Yobo will be sidelined for the rest of December after aggravating a hamstring injury in last weekend's draw with Tottenham Hotspur.
Nigeria centre-back Yobo first suffered the injury in Everton's Merseyside derby defeat to Liverpool last month and he was only able to last 15 minutes before limping off with a recurrence of the problem against Tottenham. The 29-year-old's absence for Saturday's trip to leaders Chelsea is another blow for Everton boss David Moyes, who is already without eight first team players through injury.
"A scan carried out showed that it was a familiar hamstring injury and that I should rest until the end of the year," Yobo told Everton's club website. "The doctors anticipate that I should be fully back at the end of December. Unfortunately that will cost me a chance to help out my club at this demanding and crucial stage of the season."
Moyes is keen to make several signings when the transfer window reopens in January and the Scot confirmed USA forward Landon Donovan is on his wanted list. The Toffees are trying to sign Donovan on a similar short-term deal to the one struck by LA Galaxy team-mate David Beckham, who is returning to AC Milan during the Major League Soccer close season.
"I can't tell you too much just now because we are just finalising things but I think we will be able to confirm it one way or another in the next week or two," Moyes said. "I'd rather talk about him in a couple of weeks and not at this present time in case I don't get him."