Everton end United's quintuple bid

Everton ended Manchester United's hopes of winning an unprecedented quituple of five major trophies this season with a 4-2 penalty shoot-out victory after the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley finished goalless after extra time. Phil Jagielka converted the spot-kick that clinched Everton's shoot-out success after Tim Howard, the Toffees' former United keeper, had saved from Dimitar Berbatov and Rio Ferdinand.

David Moyes' side will play Chelsea, winners against Arsenal in the first semi-final, in the final at Wembley on 30 May. United, who had won the League Cup and FIFA Club World Cup already this season, now have to focus on retaining their Premier League and UEFA Champions League crowns.

In a game of few chances, United, who fielded an under-strength side, felt they should have had a penalty in the second half when Danny Welbeck was clipped by Jagielka, but referee Mike Riley infuriated Sir Alex Ferguson by ignoring their appeals.

Tim Cahill blazed Everton's first spot-kick high over the bar. But Howard responded by saving Berbatov's weak effort and then pushing away Ferdinand's shot before Jagielka slotted home the winning penalty to stun United.

"It was a tough game for us," Moyes said. "If they put out their under-14s it would have a been a tough game. They are going after every trophy.

"For everyone at Everton it is fantastic," he added. "If they keep doing what they are doing now it, success will not be too far away."

For everyone at Everton it is fantastic. If they keep doing what they are doing now it, success will not be too far away.
Everton manager David Moyes

It was the first time Sir Alex Ferguson had experienced defeat at this stage of the competition and he had sprung a major surprise by fielding a side packed with youngsters and fringe players in advance of Wednesday's league clash with Portsmouth. Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs were among those missing, and without their big names United looked a shadow of their usual selves.

Carlos Tevez accepted the responsibility of co-ordinating his inexperienced teenage strike-partners Federico Macheda and Welbeck and orchestrated a series of neat passing moves around the edge of the Everton area. But without Rooney and Ronaldo, United were desperately short of a cutting edge and Everton keeper Tim Howard remained largely untroubled during the opening 45 minutes. In fact, United came closest to scoring when Howard was wrong-footed when team-mate Joleon Lescott deflected Park Ji-Sung's right wing cross and both defender and keeper were relieved to see the ball drift narrowly wide of the near post.

Whether Everton were boosted or insulted by the sight of the United team-sheet, they initially showed few signs of being able to exploit their weakened opponents. Despite boasting an overwhelming advantage in terms of first-team experience, it was David Moyes' side who looked inhibited on the big stage, although a line-up that left lone striker Louis Saha painfully short of support did nothing to encourage their ambition.

Marouane Fellaini attempted to get close to Saha, but the Belgian's aerial threat was nullified by Nemanja Vidic and Everton's only half chance of the first half came when United keeper Ben Foster scuffed a clearance. It was clear Everton needed to inject more purpose and self-belief into their attacking movements.

And that is exactly what they did after the restart when they pressed United onto the back-foot and finally brought a meaningful save from Foster when Tim Cahill let fly from 30 yards in the 54th minute. But instead of building on that momentum, Moyes' side again found themselves overrun as United took charge with Park and Darron Gibson both coming close with well-worked shots.

Their best opening, though, was denied by referee Mike Riley who adjudged there had been no infringement when Jagielka appeared to trip Welbeck after the United striker had latched onto a loose ball and rounded Howard. United were adamant it should have been a penalty - and Ferguson remonstrated angrily from the touch-line.

It is likely he would have been even more furious had he known his side would struggle to make another chance of note before the tie drifted into extra-time. Penalties always looked the most likely outcome once the extra half hour had been signaled, although Everton substitute James Vaughan wasted a good opening when he directed a shot straight at Vidic.