Turkey grind past UAE
© Action Images

Turkey progressed to just their second FIFA U-17 World Cup quarter-final, securing a goal at either end of the match to overpower United Arab Emirates 2-0 in Enugu. Incredibly, the Turks opened with a goal in just the second minute, following goals scored in the third minute of two group matches.

A free-kick from the right to the back post was headed across goal by strapping midfielder Orhan Gulle, where defender Furkan Seker easily swept the ball home as the UAE defence were caught napping. A few moments later UAE's Ali Murad went close with a free-kick from distance, setting the tone with the Persian Gulf nation always dangerous from dead-ball situations.

UAE's Marwan Al Saffer' directed a free-kick from the left into the side-netting, with No10 Fahad Salim always dangerous with his left-foot free-kicks and silky close-control in midfield. One such swerving free-kick from distance was mishandled by Turkish goalkeeper Deniz Mehmet, but he somehow recovered to make a block with Mohamed Hussain seemingly certain to score on the rebound from point-blank range.

Mehmet then had to be quick off his line to repeat the dose as Hussain was released from midfield with a defence-splitting pass. The less-fancied UAE side were having the better of possession for large periods as the half wore on, and matters worsened for the Turks six minutes prior to half-time with the dismissal of Ogulcan Gokce for a lunge on Al Saffar

Soon after the interval, a spectacular 40-yard free-kick from Al Saffar dipped just over the bar. Turkey's dangerous midfielder Gulle then directed a smart goalbound glancing header from a corner-kick only to see it cleared off the line at the back post by captain Haddaf

The speed of the match slowed significantly in the second period, with Turkey showing great resilience throughout. Finally, during injury time, the match was put of reach with Ufuk Ozbek beating the offside trap and slotting home off the far post as UAE were pushing for the equaliser.