May: France conquer Copacabana Beach, Liverpool's miracle
Eric Cantona's France won a thrilling inaugural FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup by beating Portugal on penalties in the final in Rio de Janeiro. Hosts Brazil had to settle for third place, with Japan finishing fourth after making an excellent impression on Copacabana Beach.
After the tournament, FIFA General Secretary Urs Linsi led a delegation to visit the SOS Children's Village Pedra Bonita in Rio de Janeiro, underlining FIFA's continued commitment to SOS Children's Villages after the recent launch of the joint '6 villages for 2006' campaign.
Liverpool became Europe's representatives at the FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup in Japan with an incredible victory over AC Milan in the UEFA Champions League final. Liverpool were trailing 0-3 at half-time in Istanbul before pulling level and winning on penalties. The Reds were joined in the FIFA Club World Championship line-up by Costa Rica's Deportivo Saprissa, who beat Pumas UNAM 3-2 on aggregate in the CONCACAF Champions Cup final.
Turkey, Holland and Italy became Europe's three qualifiers for the FIFA U-17 World Championship as Turkey won the UEFA U-17 Championship in Italy. They were joined at Peru 2005 by Mexico, Ghana, Cote d'Ivoire and Gambia, who hosted and won the African U-17 Championship.
Manchester United beat AIK Stockholm 2-0 in the final of the Blue Stars/FIFA Youth Cup in Zurich to retain their title and also collect the Fair Play award.
FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking
Mexico traded places with Spain as the Mexicans moved up to 7th spot in the rankings. Zimbabwe (57th, up 5) gained ground on the back of two victories in friendly matches. Ethiopia, Ukraine, Cuba, Ecuador and Sudan all stayed in contention for the Mover of the Year title.
2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™
There were no 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ qualifiers in May 2005.
3 May - First FIFA Medical Centre opens in Zurich
4-5 May - Blue Stars/FIFA Youth Cup, Zurich
8-15 May - First FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup, Rio de Janeiro
20 May - Closing ceremony of FIFA Centennial Year, Zurich
- December: Brazilian kings and Prinz crowned »
- January: FIFA helps Asia, U20 qualifiers kick-off »
- February: Stars shine for tsunami victims »
- March: Top draw for Netherlands 2005, Copacabana Beach booked »
- April: Race for Peru 2005, GOAL scores in Africa »
- June: Brazil claim FIFA Confederations Cup »
- July: Argentina win Netherlands 2005, Costa Rica off to Peru 2005 »
- August: European season starts Germany 2006 countdown »
- September: Brazil on course as Peru 2005 thrills fans »
- October: Mexico stun Brazil, Germany 2006 takes shape »
- November: Germany 2006 line-up complete, football salutes Best »