FIFA Futsal World Championship from 18 November to 3 December 2000
For the 4th FIFA Futsal World Championship to be held in Guatemala, the Futsal Committee confirmed the dates of the competition as from 18 November to 3 December, 2000. The matches will be played in the Guatemala 2000 complex and the Hyatt Hotel complex, which are both in Guatemala City. The draw is planned for August 2000, and the idea of holding a Futsal seminar at the same time was raised. Preparations are on schedule and the next FIFA inspection visit will take place in January 2000.
With respect to the Laws of the Game for Futsal, FIFA General Secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen reported that the International Football Association Board had approved the revisions of the Laws drawn up by the Futsal Committee. Major changes in the Laws include:
- the second penalty mark is moved from 12m. to 10m. from the goal
- half-time is extended from 10 min. to 15 min.
- the terms Second (formerly Assistant Referee) and Third Referee (to primarily handle administrative duties) have been added to clarify the roles of these individuals
- a goal can be scored directly from the kick-off
- the goalkeeper may throw the ball past the half-way line as a goal clearance
The new Laws have immediate effect and will be in place for the continental qualification tournaments.
It was further reported that the current bodies controlling Beach Soccer were willing to play under one universal Laws of the Game for Beach Soccer to be drawn up by FIFA.