Trio start in style

Paraguayan big guns Cerro Porteno hammered Chilean giants Colo Colo 5-2 as both teams made their first appearance in the group stage of the Copa Libertadores.

Cerro Porteno went ahead in the first minute of the Group 5 clash when a mix-up between Colo Colo defender Andres Scotti and goalkeeper Juan Castillo allowed Roberto Nanni to score. The hosts doubled their lead in the sixth minute when Ivan Torres crossed for Julio Dos Santos to score.

In a frenetic opening to the game, the Chileans pulled a goal back in the 12th minute through Cristobal Jorquera. But Cerro Porteno struck again a minute after the break through substitute Juan Iturbe and a Roberti Nanni penalty made it 4-2. Esteban Paredes reduced the deficit again for Colo Colo before a second from Iturbe sealed an emphatic win for the Paraguayans.

"It was a weird game. We gave away some advantages that you can't afford to do in the Libertadores," Colo Colo coach Luis Perez said. "We were weak in both boxes. We made some schoolboy mistakes and we missed the chances we created in their area."

In Group 8, Argentina's Godoy Cruz marked their first continental outing with a 2-1 win over Ecuador's Liga Deportiva Universitaria. Carlos Sanchez put Godoy Cruz ahead in the first half, but Neicer Reasco equalised in the 53rd minute. Nicolas Sanchez scored the winner just six minutes later.

In Group 2, Brazil's Gremio and Colombian outfit Junior won their opening games. Gremio had trouble breaking down Bolivia's Oriente Petrolero in the first half, but once they broke the deadlock things got easier and they sealed a 3-0 win.

Douglas opened the scoring with a controversial penalty in the 43rd minute after Terrazas had been penalised for a handball. Gilson doubled the advantage shortly after the break before Douglas got his second.

"The important thing was to start on the right note. The team never gave up, they battled for the victory," Gremio coach Renato Gaucho said. "We can improve, there were mistakes, but team did well."

Junior won 2-1 at home to Peru's Leon de Huanuco. Goals from John Viafara and Carlos Bacca put the Colombians in control before Carlos Elias netted a consolation four minutes from time.