Shakhtar shock Arsenal
© Getty Images

Arsenal's progress in the UEFA Champions League remains in the balance after they were beaten by 2-1 Shakhtar Donetsk at the Donbass Arena. 

England forward Theo Walcott had slotted in a fine breakaway goal after ten minutes for the injury-hit Premier League side, who were without captain Cesc Fabregas. However, Shakhtar who were defeated 5-1 at the Emirates Stadium a fortnight ago, responded well and were eventually rewarded when 19-year-old Craig Eastmond, making his European debut, diverted Dmytro Chygrynskiy's header into his own net.

Eduardo, who scored a late consolation goal in north London, slotted home from close range on the stroke of half-time, which proved enough to force his old club to wait for qualification to the knockout stages.

Arsene Wenger had warned his team not to expect another European romp against a side which boasted an impressive home record and had lost just two of the last 30 games in all competitions.

"Congratulations to Donetsk, they played well and won the game. We had a good start, but after that we lost our urgency and let Donetsk come into the game too much," the Arsenal manager said.

"We lost concentration in the duels and you could see what was coming towards half-time. I felt we moved out of the game altogether and moved into the game altogether, so it was more of a team problem, a kind of complacency problem more than an individual problem.

Congratulations to Donetsk, they played well and won the game. We had a good start, but after that we lost our urgency and let Donetsk come into the game too much.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

"In the second half we came back into the game and gave a lot, you cannot fault the team, and we were a bit unlucky. We have learned the lesson that at this level you cannot lose focus at any moment and that is why we were punished. But we are still in a strong position in the group."

As the locals cranked up the pre-match atmosphere, Shakhtar made a positive start. However, it was Arsenal who came close to breaking the deadlock on eight minutes when Samir Nasri strode forward to the edge of the Shakhtar box and sent a low shot against the outside of the post. At the other end, Chygrynskiy's close-range header from a corner was blocked by Sebastien Squillaci.

The Donbass Arena was then left in stunned silence as Walcott put Arsenal ahead on ten minutes.Jack Wilshere, back after serving a three-match domestic ban, laid the ball into the path of the on-rushing England forward, who showed the Shakhtar defence a clean pair of heels before breaking into the area and slotting a cool finish past Andriy Pyatov into the right-hand corner.

The Ukrainians immediately went on the offensive, and there was an amazing let-off for Arsenal on 16 minutes. Jadson's snapshot smashed into Johan Djourou, with the Brazilian midfielder then eventually turning the loose ball against the post. From the resulting corner, Lukasz Fabianski made a brilliant reaction save to deny Chygrynskiy.

Swiss referee Massimo Busacca allowed play to go on after Tomas Hubschman flattened Wilshere, before then showing the yellow card first to Emmanuel Eboue for tripping Jadson on the left flank following a swift counter-attack and also then booking the Czech midfielder. From the resulting free-kick, Shakhtar equalised when the unfortunate Eastmond deflected Chygrynskiy's header into his own net on 29 minutes.

Arsenal were now in danger of being over-run, as Shakhtar continued to pour forward. Jadson should have done better when played into the penalty area, but his shot was straight at the keeper.

On the stroke of half-time, the home side went ahead when Darijo Srna capitalised on Gael Clichy's hesitation on the nearside touchline and slotted the ball across the six-yard box, where Eduardo swept home - the Croatian again opting not to celebrate.

At the start of the second half, Wilshere had a great chance to equalise when he robbed Willian on the edge of the area, only to bend the ball wide before Walcott then scuffed his effort following another scramble inside the Shakhtar box.

Arsenal wasted another opportunity to get level when Sebastien Squillaci headed straight at the keeper from six-yards out after more patient build-up and a fine cross from Nasri. Walcott's snapshot was caught by Pyatov as the English side continued to press.

With eight minutes to go, Wenger looked to inject some fresh legs into the Arsenal attack when he sent on youngster Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, replacing Walcott. However, the hosts were not troubled as they moved level on nine points with Arsenal in the battle for Group H.