Japanese champions Urawa Reds were upbeat after their 1-1 draw away at Iran's Sepahan in the first leg of the AFC Champions League final.

A scoreless draw in the second leg at home next Wednesday will be enough for the J-League side to become the first Japanese club to clinch the title since the continental championship was expanded into its current format in 2003.

The two-legged final will be decided by aggregate score, but a 0-0 draw in Saitama will be enough for Urawa because away goals count double.

"I am not satisfied but I can still give a passing mark to the result. At least it gives an advantage to Urawa," Reds striker Tatsuya Tanaka told Japanese reporters after Wednesday night's first leg in Esfahan.

"We can definitely win at home," added Tanaka, who has scored three goals in the Champions League.

Brazilian Robson Ponte gave Urawa the lead on the stroke of half-time but Sepahan pulled one back within moments of the re-start through Mahmoud Karimi.

After dominating the opening period there were some hairy moments for the visitors in the second-half in front of a partisan home crowd and on a pitch which Urawa coach Holger Osieck criticised for being too bumpy.

Despite that, Osieck said he was not happy with the draw.

"Our goal is to get a good result at home next week. We were able to do what we had to do here," he said after the game.

"Probably spectators think 'how did that happen?' but the ground conditions were not good at all and the ball often flew too far. It was disappointing."

Japanese media were buoyant Thursday. "Urawa survived a rigorous away game with a valuable draw toward their long-awaited first conquest of Asia," the Nikkan Sports daily said.

The Sankei Sports declared: "A draw in enemy territory pushed Urawa toward the Asian championship. Clinch victory at home on November 14!"

"An away draw with a goal is as good as a victory," said the Sports Nippon.

All 60,000 advance tickets for the second-leg showdown at the Saitama Stadium have been sold.