|Questions and answers
1. The referee orders a penalty kick to be retaken because the goalkeeper
advanced off the goal line. May a different player take the retaken
2. At the taking of a penalty kick, the goalkeeper advances off the goal
line before the ball is kicked and intercepts it. What action shall the
They shall order the penalty kick to be retaken.
3. A team-mate of a player taking a penalty kick enters the penalty area
or approaches to within fi ve metres of the ball before it is put into
play. The goalkeeper defl ects the shot over the crossbar and goal line.
What action shall the referees take?
They shall award an indirect free kick to the defending team from the
place where the offence was committed*.
4. A player takes a penalty kick before the referee has given the relevant
signal. What action shall the referee take?
He shall order the penalty kick to be retaken.
5. At the taking of a penalty kick, after the referee has given the necessary
signal a team-mate of the player nominated to take the kick steps
forward and takes it instead. What action shall the referee take?
The referee shall stop play and restart the game with an indirect free
kick to the defending team from where the offence was committed*,
e.g. from the place within fi ve metres of the ball where the player was
stuated. The player shall be cautioned for unsporting behaviour.
6. When a penalty kick is taken, the ball strikes the goalpost and/or
crossbar and bursts. What action shall the referees take?
If the ball enters the goal directly after striking the goalposts or the
crossbar, the goal shall be awarded.
If the ball does not enter the goal directly after striking the goalposts or
the crossbar, the goal shall not be awarded. The ball shall be replaced
and play shall be restarted with a dropped ball*. If the match has been
extended at the end of a period or at the end of the periods of extra
time to allow a kick from the second penalty mark or a kick without
a wall to be taken, the period shall be declared to have ended.