Universidad Catolica Argentina (UCA) and CIES will organise a conference on 18 October 2013 in Buenos Aires to celebrate the tenth anniversary of their academic partnership. On the eve of Brazil 2014, the event will focus on the multifaceted and fascinating theme of the World Cup in South America, with its history, organisation and legacy.
UCA, as the first university in the FIFA/CIES International University Network, has been a CIES partner for 10 years now. Together, UCA and CIES will propose a conference that will allow speakers, renowned athletes and participants to exchange views on the following themes:
• The historical impact of the World Cups held in South America
• Different aspects related to organisation of the World Cup
• Realities of the economic, political and social legacy of major sports competitions
• The personal legacy of athletes and how they convey the values of sport
The speakers (the list is not yet final) will include international and Argentine experts, as well as sports athletes such as
• Michael Boys, CIES coordinator, sports consultant and FIFA general coordinator, Chile
• Manuel Contepomi, former member of the Argentina national rugby team, the Pumas, Argentina
• Horacio Marcelo Elizondo, former Argentine professional referee and former international FIFA referee, Argentina
• Prof. Julio Frydenberg, CIES coordinator and historian, Argentina
• Prof. Richard Holt, International Centre for Sport History and Culture, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
• Prof. Pierre Lanfranchi, CIES Scientific Coordinator and historian, France
• Prof. Dino Ruta, associate professor, SDA Bocconi School of Management, Milan, Italy
• Ricardo Trade, CEO of the Local Organising Committee, 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, Brazil
The conference is organised primarily for the students and alumni of UCA and of the other thirteen partner universities of the FIFA/CIES International University Network (registration is free of charge until 20 September 2013), but is also open to other sports and World Cup enthusiasts.
For more information:
To see the programme and enrolment form, click on the links on the right.