A brief history...
Gremio Football Porto-Alegrense was founded on 15 September 1903 in a Porto Alegre restaurant. Twenty people were present that day, including Candido Dias, Guilherme Kaelfels and the club's first chairman, Carlos Luiz Bohrer. All were descendents of Portuguese and German immigrants living in Porto Alegre, the capital of the Rio Grande Do Sul province, located 150 km from the border with Uruguay.
As Brazil's southernmost state, the area has a more extreme climate than the rest of the country. This geographical reality is said to have influenced the type of football practised in the region, which is distinctly more physical and down-to-earth than the romantic samba style more commonly associated with Brazil.
Originally, Gremio were supposed to sport the blue-and-brown strip of English club Exeter City, but a shortage of brown-coloured fabric in Porto Alegre caused the shirt colour to gradually evolve. In 1929, it was finally fixed as blue, black and white, which it remains to this day.
On 6 March 1904, Gremio contested their first official match at the newly built Baixada stadium in the Moinhos de Vento district. Fifty years later, the Olimpico Monumentale stadium was constructed, with a capacity of 60,000. Despite these solid foundations, around thirty gaucho (state championship) titles and their dramatic rivalry with Internacional of Porto Alegre, Gremio had to wait until 1981, 78 years after the club's creation, to lift their first Brazilian title. But it gave Gremio a taste for success, and the club proceeded to win a Toyota Cup and Copa Libertadores during their golden decade of the eighties. Ever since, Gremio have retained their place among the elite few clubs of Brazilian football, maintaining a healthy rivalry with the powerful clubs of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.