Football in Russia
After the break-up of the former Soviet Union, Russia retained its position as the leading light in the region's football. In the era of the USSR, Moscow was the hub of all football activity and the area now known as Russia produced the majority of players for the national team. The USSR's greatest successes came at the Men's Olympic Football Tournaments in 1956 and 1988, with the team securing Gold on both occasions, and at the European Championship (winners in 1960; runners-up in 1964, 1972 and 1988). Goalkeeping legend Lev Yashin took part in four FIFA World Cup finals, won Olympic Gold in 1956 and was part of the European Championship-winning team in 1960. He won many awards, including the European Player of the Year title in 1963, and the award for the best goalkeeper at the FIFA World Cup finals also carries his name in honour of his achievements. Other famous names in Russian football include: Nikita Simonian (Olympic winner in 1956; scorer of USSR's first-ever goal at the FIFA World Cup finals in 1958), Oleg Salenko (winner of the Golden Shoe for the top scorer at the FIFA World Cup USA 94) and Dmitrii Alenichev, who won the 2003 UEFA Cup with FC Porto. But Russian coaches have also made a name for themselves abroad: Gavriil Kachalin (Olympic winner in 1956), Konstantin Beskov (runner-up at the European Championship in 1964) and Nikolai Morozov (fourth place at the FIFA World Cup in 1966). Last but not least, Russia's legendary referee Nikolai Latyshev officiated the Final of the FIFA World Cup between Brazil and Czechoslovakia in 1962.
The first Goal Project
During the first phase, the Goal Programme financed ten offices distributed across the whole country. These offices should improve the administration of Russian football and coordinate the various regional championships and development programmes in conjunction with the national association, based in Moscow.
Use of FAP funds
Financing of Goal project
Project (parts I and II)
Regional offices and artificial pitch for youth teams in Bronnitsy
Projects approved
15 february 2001 and 4 march 2002
Status
Opened on 2 August 2003
Financed by
Goal USD 150,000 + USD 400,000 Government Land Total cost USD 550,000
20.01.2009