The press facilities at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ were voted the International Sports Press Association’s Best Press Facility of the Year in an online poll which attracted the votes of 515 journalists from 93 nations.
The FIFA World Cup was staged across nine cities in ten venues, with press centres in each venue catering to thousands of international and national media.
In the poll, the media facilities at the FIFA World Cup came on top, beating the press infrastructure at other major international sports events such as, among others, the Winter Olympics, Wimbledon, the European Athletics Championships or the Asian Games.
The International Sports Press Association (AIPS) was founded in 1924 and has 153 member associations and nearly 10,000 individual members.
Results of the top ten were as follows:
1. FIFA World Cup, South Africa – 828 votes (21.8%)
2. Winter Olympics, Canada - 678 (17.85%)
3. Wimbledon, Great Britain - 460 (12.11%)
4. Athletics European Championship, Spain - 43 (11.66%)
5. Asian Games, China PR - 345 (9.08%)
6. Volleyball World Championship, Italy - 241 (6.35%)
7. Basketball World Championship, Turkey - 227 (5.98%)
8. Handball European Championship, Austria - 198 (5.21%)
9. Swimming European Championship, Hungary - 184 (4.84%)
10. Gymnastic World Championship, Netherlands - 118 (3.11%)